Street Corn Salad

750g-1kg bag of frozen corn (I use half a 2kg)
1/2 stick of butter

100g feta cheese (half of a small block)
10-20 mini tomato
1 bell pepper
1 purple onion
Bunch of mint, parsley, oregano or other fresh herb
25g Mexican seasoning mix
1 cup mayonnaise (don't use Miracle Whip or you're blocked)
1 cup sour cream

In heavy cast iron heat butter on med/high until melted. Add corn and Mexican seasoning: cook, turning the heat up if necessary, stirring occasionally until the corn begins to brown and a brown layer builds up on the pan's bottom. Add 1-2 oz of water to delaminate the coating on the pan, stir well and move to a heat-safe dish. Place corn in the fridge for 2-3 hours or the freezer for an hour - chill it off. 

Alternatively: Cook 4-6 cobs of corn on the cob on a grill or barbecue until slightly charred. Allow to cool and cut corn off the cob for use in the salad. If this is the case, add 1/2 the seasoning or to taste to the dressing in the next steps. 

Chop tomato, pepper, onion and herbs to a comparable size to the corn. Mix with the corn and add feta, mayonnaise and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and serve chilled. 



Like many starch-based salads, this one ages well and is often better the next day. If you know your diners have more adventurous palettes, the bell pepper can be replaced with hot chilli pepper, jalapeno or whatever spicy veggie you have access to! The original recipe uses a Mexican cheese called Cojita, I've never found it locally so I use feta. A good old cheddar would work a wonder in this recipe too. This is a fantastic use of leftover barbecue corn.

This was a recipe I had pushed on me in the summer of 2021. Rhonda wanted this Mexican Street Corn Salad and I just said, "Get me the ingredients and I'll see what I can do". It quickly became my summer party dish go-to and has never failed to impress in any setting. 



Comments